The diagram you shared illustrates the Proactive Model, a concept popularized by Stephen R. Covey in The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People. The core idea is:
Between what happens to us (Stimulus) and how we react (Response), we have the freedom to choose our response.
Below is a detailed explanation in English and Khmer.
Proactive Model
ប្រព័ន្ធគំនិតមនុស្សសកម្ម (Proactive Model)
Diagram Overview
STIMULUS
(What happens)
↓
FREEDOM TO CHOOSE
(Your decision)
↓
RESPONSE
(Your action)
English
Something happens to you (Stimulus). Instead of reacting automatically, you have a moment to think. During this moment, you choose your response based on your values, goals, and principles.
Khmer
នៅពេលមានព្រឹត្តិការណ៍ណាមួយកើតឡើង (Stimulus) អ្នកមិនចាំបាច់ឆ្លើយតបភ្លាមៗទេ។ អ្នកមានពេលមួយខ្លីដើម្បីគិត ហើយជ្រើសរើសការឆ្លើយតប (Response) ដោយផ្អែកលើគោលការណ៍ តម្លៃ និងគោលដៅរបស់អ្នក។
1. STIMULUS (ការជំរុញ ឬព្រឹត្តិការណ៍)
English
A stimulus is anything that happens around you.
Examples:
Someone criticizes you.
You lose money.
Your boss gets angry.
A customer complains.
You receive bad news.
Khmer
Stimulus គឺជាព្រឹត្តិការណ៍ ឬអ្វីៗដែលកើតឡើងនៅជុំវិញអ្នក។
ឧទាហរណ៍៖
មានអ្នករិះគន់អ្នក
បាត់បង់លុយ
មេការខឹង
អតិថិជនត្អូញត្អែរ
ទទួលដំណឹងមិនល្អ
Important
You cannot always control the stimulus.
សំខាន់
អ្នកមិនអាចគ្រប់គ្រងព្រឹត្តិការណ៍ទាំងអស់បានទេ។
2. FREEDOM TO CHOOSE (សេរីភាពក្នុងការជ្រើសរើស)
នេះជាចំណុចសំខាន់បំផុតនៃរូបនេះ។
English
Human beings have the ability to pause before responding.
Instead of reacting emotionally, we can choose wisely.
Khmer
មនុស្សមានសមត្ថភាព "ផ្អាក" មួយភ្លែត មុននឹងឆ្លើយតប។
ជំនួសឱ្យការប្រតិកម្មតាមអារម្មណ៍ យើងអាចជ្រើសរើសការឆ្លើយតបដោយប្រាជ្ញា។
Covey explains that this freedom comes from four unique human abilities.
3. SELF-AWARENESS
ការយល់ដឹងអំពីខ្លួនឯង
English
Self-awareness means noticing:
What am I thinking?
What am I feeling?
Why am I angry?
Why am I afraid?
You observe yourself.
Khmer
Self-awareness មានន័យថា
ខ្ញុំកំពុងគិតអ្វី?
ខ្ញុំកំពុងមានអារម្មណ៍អ្វី?
ហេតុអ្វីខ្ញុំខឹង?
ហេតុអ្វីខ្ញុំបារម្ភ?
អ្នកអាចសង្កេតមើលខ្លួនឯងបាន។
Example
Boss shouts.
Reactive person
"I hate him!"
Proactive person
"I feel angry right now."
ខុសគ្នាត្រង់ថា មនុស្ស Proactive ដឹងថាខ្លួនកំពុងខឹង ហើយមិនឲ្យអារម្មណ៍គ្រប់គ្រងខ្លួនភ្លាមៗទេ។
4. IMAGINATION
ការស្រមៃ និងការមើលឃើញអនាគត
English
Imagination allows you to imagine different possibilities.
Ask yourself:
What will happen if I shout?
What if I stay calm?
Which future do I want?
Khmer
Imagination អនុញ្ញាតឱ្យយើងស្រមៃលទ្ធផលផ្សេងៗ។
បើខ្ញុំខឹង តើនឹងកើតអ្វី?
បើខ្ញុំនិយាយស្ងប់ស្ងាត់វិញ?
តើលទ្ធផលមួយណាដែលខ្ញុំចង់បាន?
5. CONSCIENCE
មនសិការ
English
Conscience tells us what is right and wrong.
It is your inner moral compass.
Ask:
Is this honest?
Is this respectful?
Is this fair?
Khmer
Conscience គឺជាមនសិការ ដែលប្រាប់ថា អ្វីត្រឹមត្រូវ និងអ្វីមិនត្រឹមត្រូវ។
សួរខ្លួនឯង៖
តើនេះស្មោះត្រង់ទេ?
តើនេះគោរពអ្នកដទៃទេ?
តើនេះយុត្តិធម៌ទេ?
6. INDEPENDENT WILL
ឆន្ទៈឯករាជ្យ
English
Independent Will means having the discipline to do what is right, even when it is difficult.
Examples:
Stay calm.
Keep your promise.
Finish your work.
Control your anger.
Khmer
Independent Will មានន័យថា មានឆន្ទៈអនុវត្តអ្វីដែលត្រឹមត្រូវ ទោះបីវាលំបាកក៏ដោយ។
ឧទាហរណ៍៖
ទប់អារម្មណ៍
រក្សាពាក្យសន្យា
បញ្ចប់ការងារ
មិននិយាយពាក្យដែលបង្ករបញ្ហា
7. RESPONSE
ការឆ្លើយតប
English
Response is the action you finally choose.
Examples:
Speak calmly.
Walk away.
Ask questions.
Solve the problem.
Say "Thank you."
Khmer
Response គឺជាសកម្មភាពដែលអ្នកជ្រើសរើសធ្វើ។
ឧទាហរណ៍៖
និយាយដោយស្ងប់ស្ងាត់
ដើរចេញមួយភ្លែត
សួរដើម្បីយល់បញ្ហា
ដោះស្រាយបញ្ហា
អរគុណ
Reactive vs Proactive
| Reactive Person | Proactive Person |
|---|---|
| Reacts immediately | Thinks before acting |
| Blames others | Takes responsibility |
| Controlled by emotions | Guided by values |
| Says "I can't." | Says "What can I do?" |
| Focuses on problems | Focuses on solutions |
| ឆ្លើយតបភ្លាមៗ | គិតសិន រួចសម្រេចចិត្ត |
| បន្ទោសអ្នកដទៃ | ទទួលខុសត្រូវ |
| អារម្មណ៍ដឹកនាំ | គោលការណ៍ដឹកនាំ |
| និយាយថា "ខ្ញុំមិនអាច" | សួរថា "ខ្ញុំអាចធ្វើអ្វីបាន?" |
Construction Example (Your Work)
Situation (Stimulus)
A client says:
"Your work is too slow."
Reactive Response
Become angry.
Argue with the client.
Blame the workers.
Result: The relationship may worsen.
Proactive Response
Self-awareness: I feel upset.
Imagination: If I argue, the project could suffer.
Conscience: The client deserves a respectful explanation.
Independent Will: Stay calm and communicate professionally.
Response: Explain the schedule, identify the cause of the delay, and propose a recovery plan.
Result: Better trust and a higher chance of solving the problem.
Another Everyday Example
Stimulus
Your coworker insults you.
Reactive
Insult them back.
Proactive
Pause for a moment.
Ask yourself:
Why am I angry?
What result do I want?
What is the right thing to do?
Can I control my emotions?
Then choose a respectful response.
Key Lesson (សារសំខាន់)
English
The Proactive Model teaches that we are not controlled only by circumstances. While we cannot control every event (Stimulus), we can control how we respond (Response) by using our Self-awareness, Imagination, Conscience, and Independent Will. This ability to choose is the foundation of personal responsibility and effective leadership.
Khmer
Proactive Model បង្រៀនថា យើងមិនមែនជាមនុស្សដែលត្រូវបានគ្រប់គ្រងដោយព្រឹត្តិការណ៍ខាងក្រៅតែប៉ុណ្ណោះទេ។ ទោះបីយើងមិនអាចគ្រប់គ្រង Stimulus ទាំងអស់បានក៏ដោយ យើងអាចគ្រប់គ្រង Response របស់យើងបាន ដោយប្រើ Self-awareness (ការយល់ដឹងអំពីខ្លួនឯង), Imagination (ការស្រមៃមើលលទ្ធផល), Conscience (មនសិការ) និង Independent Will (ឆន្ទៈឯករាជ្យ)។ ការជ្រើសរើសការឆ្លើយតបដោយចេតនា គឺជាមូលដ្ឋាននៃការទទួលខុសត្រូវផ្ទាល់ខ្លួន និងភាពជាអ្នកដឹកនាំដ៏មានប្រសិទ្ធភាព។